Haven Green from the north
Haven Green has
existed as common land from medieval times. Cary's Survey of Middlesex
(1786) shows a cluster of houses around a triangular shaped green at
Ealing Haven, quite distinct from the larger settlement at Ealing
Green. Haven Green was purchased as public open space by the Ealing
Local Board, at the same time as other common land at Ealing Common and
Village green application goes back to Committee Ealing Council is at last to make a decision on whether Haven Green should be designated as a "town or village green".
The application, first made as long ago as March 2009, has been subject to protracted legal argument. After a year had passed, the Council sought an initial opinion from a QC. The Regulatory Committee, which is responsible for the final decision, then decided to ask the national Planning Inspectorate to set up a public inquiry to settle the issue. However when it was discovered that the Inspectorate could no longer undertake this work, the Council commissioned a further barrister's opinion.
Like the first one, the barrister's report concentrated on the legal background and recommended that the application should be rejected because the provisions of the relevant Acts had not been met. However he also suggested that the supporters of the application should have a chance of reply.
This has now been done. The response claims that the legal position remains unclear, and that the Council should accept the application as being in the spirit of the legislation and in the best interest of Ealing's residents. The matter will return to the Regulatory Committee at its next meeting in November.
23 September 2011